Please print, fill out, and bring to your first appointment.
The surgeons at A.O.S.D.I. have an initial consultation visit with each patient prior to scheduling their surgery. During this visit, the surgeon will review your surgical requirements as well as your medical history. Because we routinely administer powerful, I.V. sedation medications, an accurate medical history is much more important for us than it is routine dental work. Essentially, an oral surgeon needs to know a patient’s medical history to the extent that an anesthesiologist in a hospital setting would.
At the initial visit, your surgeon also assures that he has all of the proper x-rays needed for the planned surgery. If your surgeon needs new or additional x-rays to take proper care of you, he will obtain them at the consultation appointment.
After obtaining an accurate history and all the necessary x-rays, the surgeon will examine your mouth and face to be sure that no abnormalities are missed. After that, he will discuss with you your diagnoses and the surgery he proposes to treat those diagnoses. During these discussions, you will have multiple opportunities to have any and all of your questions answered, after which you will sign the routine consent form.
While the surgeon is accomplishing all of the above tasks, our office staff is processing your administrative paperwork. They will contact your insurance company to give you as accurate an estimate as possible with regard to your financial obligation on the surgery date. After receiving this written estimate, you will have the opportunity to schedule surgery.
As is usually the case at an initial doctor visit, you should be prepared to fill out a number of routine forms. You may want to arrive 15 – 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time in order to give yourself enough time to complete these necessary forms. Please bring the following items with you to expedite your course through the consultation visit and its paperwork.
- Driver’s License
- Dental Insurance Card and / or information
- Medical Insurance Card and / or information
- Referral form or treatment request from your referring doctor (if you have one)
- Any x-rays that your referring doctor gave you to bring to your consultation
- List of all medicines you are allergic to, can’t have, or do not want for any reason
- List of all medicines you are taking (include all prescriptions, inhalers, patches, shots, vitamins, herbals, minerals, over the counter medicines, occasional medicines, as-needed medicines, medicines from other countries, Internet medicines, etc.)
- List of all prior surgeries and / or procedures for which you have received anesthesia
- List of all medical problems that you have
- Name of your general dentist, orthodontist, other dental specialist(s), and physician(s)
The consultation visit is designed to allow your surgeon to be entirely familiar with you, your history, and your needs. It is necessary in order to be able to take good care of you and to avoid missing any important issues in your case. It eliminates mistakes, allows for proper informed consent, and makes your surgery day as smooth and streamlined as possible. Successful surgeries and good surgical results start with a good consultation visit.
Our office is conveniently located one block west of Rangeline on 29th Street. We are on the second floor of the Wells Fargo Building next to Oasis Day Spa.
- Address: 2819 E. 29th St. Suite 2 Joplin, MO
- Phone: (417) 623-2000
- Fax: (417) 623-7948
- Hours: Open Monday-Friday 8am to 5pm